SAVE $200 WITH PROMO CODE: OUTPOST
Don’t let people tell you Peru isn’t suitable for families! On Active Adventures’ “Capybara” trip, you and your family explore Peru, see amazing sights and embark on the adventure of a lifetime (travellers without kids welcome too!)
Peru is a vibrant, family-friendly destination—yes, even teenagers will love exploring everything this country has to offer. On this trip you venture deep into the Amazon Rainforest, visit Machu Picchu and kayak across Lake Titicaca.
Day 1 Arrive in Lima, Peru’s bustling capital. We meet you at the airport and head to our accommodation in the coastal neighbourhood of Miraflores, a modern district with shops, cafés and a remarkable pre-Columbia ruin/pyramid (called Huaca Pucllana) you can tour. Explore area at your own pace, then meet up for dinner together.
Day 2 Journey to the Amazon Rainforest. You fly from Lima to Puerto Maldonado, a frontier town in the Amazon basin, and take motorized canoes down the Tambopata River deep into the jungle to an eco-lodge. Spend the rest of the day exploring under the jungle canopy, looking for its incredible wildlife the jungle is know for.
Day 3 Jungle exploration. In the morning you will hike trails that crisscross the dense rainforest and travel by canoe, all to explore the unique flora and fauna of the Amazon. The afternoon is free for you and your family to hang at the lodge, or explore more of the jungle. You take an evening canoe ride in search of the nocturnal caiman.
Day 4 Cusco. Catch a flight to Cusco, one of the oldest continuously-inhabited cities in South America—our base for the next few days. You can explore the amazing culture and history of Cusco—with both Inca and Spanish colonial history on display—and wander the cobble-stoned streets and quaint neighbourhoods. Parents can leave kids with trip leaders if some alone time is preferred.
Day 5 Hike to Las Salineras, the majestic Valle Sagrado de Los Incas. Visit town of Maras, then hike to the salt pans or terraces of Salineras.
Day 6 Explore Machu Picchu, the mountaintop Inca citadel of the Incas.
Day 7 Explore Pisac’s colourful Mercado Artesanal, one of the most vibrant markets in South America! For those who are keen, you can hike up to explore the Pisac ruins and Inca terraces nearby.
Day 8 Journey to the town of Puno. You cross La Raya Pass on your way to Puno, the capital of the Altiplano area and gateway to Lake Titicaca. This is one of Peru’s great highland areas, with funky Puno known as the folklore capital of Peru.
Day 9 Kayak Lake Titicaca, home stay with the local Quechua people on Amantani Island, hike to the Pachamama (Mother Earth) temple at the summit of the island for breathtaking views of the lake.
Day 10 Take a boat to Taquile Island, hike up to an isolated village and spend time with the people of the community. You will learn about its famous textiles and fascinating way of life, before enjoying a traditional lunch of sopa de quinoa. Return to Puno by boat for our final celebratory dinner together.
Day 11 Return to Lima, depart for home.
- Phone: 800.661.9073
- SM: @activeadventures (Instagram), @ActiveNewZealand (FB), #activeadventures, YouTube
- Length/Departs: 11 days; Dec. 2019; Mar., May, June, Dec. 2020; and 2021 dates available
- Accommodation: hotels, home-stays, eco-lodge
- Price: $4,399 US (save $200 with promo code: Outpost)
- Difficulty: family-style, easy
TRIP PRICING DETAILS
- All guiding services
- Expert trip leader for entire duration, as well as specialist local guides in select locations
- All accommodations: hotels in cities, jungle lodge, traditional home-stay on Amantani Island
- All meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner
- All activities: hiking, kayaking, market visits, Inca ruins and jungle wildlife viewing.
- All domestic transport: airport transfers on first and last days; domestic flights to and from the Amazon and from Puno back to Lima; boat journeys in the Amazon and on Lake Titicaca