SAVE $200 CDN WITH PROMO CODE: OUTPOST
This is classic Peru — from lively Lima to cultural Cusco to mountaintop Machu Picchu! This tour has several departs through 2019 and 2020, so it’s an option worth considering if you’ve been longing to travel to one of the world’s most popular adventure-travel destinations.
You fly into balmy Lima, Peru’s thriving modern capital that lies on the Pacific Ocean shoreline, and spend a day touring its stunning sites, including cliffside Miraflores and Lima’s legendary Historic Center and Main Plaza, with its Presidential Palace, Archbishop’s Palace, Cathedral and Municipality of Lima.
Then you fly to Cusco and board a bus to The Sacred Valley of the Incas (Urubamba Valley), where you’ll explore the villages of Chincheros and Ollantaytambo. Chincheros, a traditional Andean highland community, boasts Inca ruins, a Spanish colonial church built on Inca foundations (which you’ll learn was common in Peru, and how the Spanish conquered the Incas), and a lively local crafts market.
Travelling down the valley to Ollantaytambo, you explore a massive archaeological complex set in stone terraces, known for its Sun Temple and as a fortress for the Incas. Then you catch a train to Aguas Calientes, the lively little town at the base of Machu Picchu — the stunning mountaintop citadel of the Incas and one of the New Seven Wonders of the World (and UNESCO World Heritage site). After exploring “every nook and cranny” of this ancient site, you head back to Aguas Calientes for lunch, then head to Cusco by train and bus.
The tour concludes with a laidback day exploring pedestrian-friendly Cusco, the capital of the Inca Empire that was conquered and redefined by the Spanish — all of which is displayed in its architecture and cobblestoned streets. There’s the colonial Plaza de Armas, Santo Domingo Convent (built atop the Inca Temple of the Sun), and the neighbourhoods of San Blas (very funky and bohemian), San Pedro and San Cristobal. Peru is spectacular. Worth going again and again—and this is a great Peru beginner’s guide!
- Phone: 800.557.2841
- Length/Departs: 7 days/April 6; May 4; June 1 & 29; July 20;Aug. 3 & 17; Sept. 7; Oct. 5; Nov. 16 (2020 dates also available)
- Accommodation: Hotels
- Prices from: 7-day tour (no airfare), $ 1,159 CDN; 9-day tour with international and regional airfare, $2,459 CDN − $200 w promo code Outpost
- Difficulty: Easy and worth it!
Trip Pricing Detail
- Accommodation as listed in the itinerary
- Shared transfers and excursions, as in itinerary unless otherwise specified
- Entrance fees
- Local English speaking guides in each locality
- Meals as per Itinerary
- Expedition train to Machu Picchu
- International and domestic flights for 7-day trip only
- Optional transfers on days before or after official tour start/end days
- Tours listed as optional